Thursday, November 02, 2006

A New Start

I've found that trying to start a blog can be likened to the times I attempted to start journaling as a teen. I would dedicate my new journal to a particular subject, but when I ended up deviating from that subject, there went the journal in the trash and there went journaling period.

I started a blog in October, dedicating it to two different missions organizations I felt have had an impact in our world; organizations I've been personally involved with. I was informed of the plight of several street kids around the area of Kyiv, Ukraine by Kelsey Hoppe who came to visit around the fall of 2003. I was on my way to a summer camp with a small team from our church the summer of 2004 to meet these kids and love them with Christ's care and compassion. Boy did that experience impact my life, as I'm sure my visit impacted theirs! I returned for a second summer in 2005. I had hoped to return to help with the camp and see the kids who had found a special place in my heart this past summer, but plans fell through due to lack of support.

I had held on dearly to this ministry as my way of... I guess having an impact in this world. But not too long ago I was introduced to the ministry of Samaritan's Purse. I made a small financial contribution to a boy in our church, Thomas Sayler, who was raising funds to purchase basic neccessaties for families in Africa (I don't remember what particular country). Ever since then I've received newsletters and Prayer Points booklets from Samaritan's Purse. As I've been able to, I've sent financial support to different projects.

So this is what my previous blog was all about. That was until... well, my involvement in both these ministries seemed to be at a standstill. I hope to always have a world view and not get so comfortable and complacent in my own culture that I become disinterested in the millions of souls in this world there are to meet, share Christ's love with and learn from. I don't want to lose that sense of adventure; the exploration into the awesome plans of God. At the same time, a theme that has been written on my heart from the past has recently surfaced to the forefront of my mind; faithfulness in the small things (see Matthew 25:23). Having an impact on this world can be done in the simplest of ways. Whether it's the people I'll inspire through this blog, the friends I encourage through MySpace, being diligent at work, loving my family and friends... these things are not to be despised as ineffective. And so I'll remain faithful in this manner until God may give me bigger responsibilities.

My hope still remains from my previous blog; that you would inherit a heart for this world if you don't currently have one. Whether your world is your own personal circle of family and friends, maybe those you've met through the Internet, your neighbors, co-workers or fellow students, may you desire to make a positive impact in each and every one of those precious lives. And if you're ever given an opportunity to venture out into this world of ours in humble service to others, I hope you take it!

3 Comments:

At 10:15 AM, Blogger G. Miller said...

I tend to "live" in the future. You know, "Well, once I finish school, I'll be ready for such-and-such." Or, "As soon as I have some more prominent position in society, I'll begin trying to make an impact for Christ." So I appreciate your insights into the necessity of living for God right now and right where I am. Thanks.

 
At 10:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not a blog person. But I like a Christian Blog. When I think of my space I get freeked out. Too many bad roomers about them.

Loved what you had to say. Passion in a ministry is what counts. Mine is Camp Alandale and the nursing home. I think you know that by now
Blessing--Karen Bochinski

 
At 7:37 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

This was a great post! Thanks for sharing your heart!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home