Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Good Old Fashioned Communication

So it's official - I no longer have access to my MySpace profile at work. It was just a matter of time. But suprisingly my lil' online social life didn't come crashing down. In fact, I'm quite pleased by these circumstances. For some weeks now, upon evaluation of my social skills, I've realized that I need to go back to good old fashioned communication. What happened to actually calling someone up on the phone? As if when they don't log onto their MySpace account and see the message I left for them, or check their email, I can't get a hold of them. Hello! Cell phone! And not only that, but I had a close friend encourage me by her example. What happened to calling up my friends and meeting with them face to face?! [shaking head] Ridiculous! You know, on one hand today's technology has many undeniable benefits. But on the other hand it creates bad habits and character traits like impatience and failure to maintain real relationships and interact with others in person.

I've relied on the Internet for a few years now to connect me with people I wouldn't be otherwise. I've "met" several cool people from across this nation and internationally (including my fiance who was living in Texas when we "met" online) through websites like www.sermonindex.net and www.myspace.com/yolandichka. I've found friends and friends have found me from the past. It's also been a convenient way to communicate with my friends and family who I either do see in person or could if I wanted to. With restricted access to certain websites like my old blog on www.xanga.com/flame_of_fire and now my MySpace profile, I will now be disconnected from certain people. But I've decided, if these online friends aren't involved in my personal life offline, then maybe they're not supposed to be in my life on an almost daily basis. Unless circumstances bring us together in person, or one actually makes an effort to call on the phone, maybe we're all supposed to stay in our own worlds that make up the one we all live in. I'm okay with that. It could be the way it's supposed to be, and the way things are supposed to be could end up being better afterall.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home